Easter Basket for a 1yr Old

Monday, April 9, 2012

To be honest, the thought of getting Liam, my 10 month old, an Easter Basket never even crossed my mind until three days ago when my coworkers scolded me for not making him a basket.  My thoughts on the matter, “he can’t have candy, he’s too young, so what do you put in his basket?” After they shared with me what they had done for their children on their first Easters I have to admit, I felt like a slacker! So, guilt ridden, I went to our local Target to see what they had to offer. 

There were rows and rows of candy and baskets. I managed to find a soft felt basket for Liam with a bunny on the front and bendable soft ears extending from the top rim. Brian and I picked out ONE chocolate bunny, because the kid has to have at least a nibble of it, and found an isle full of small toys and balls.  Since Liam loves anything that lights up and loves to roll balls, we found him a very colorful light up ball and a smaller rubber textured ball to go in his basket.  The basket was just the right size for the three small items and some fake grass.  I looked for a small stuffed bunny to go with his basket and some plastic eggs to put small treats in (non sugar treats that I already had at home to offer him anyway), and we were good to go.

Easter morning when we gave Liam his basket he was mesmerized by the light up ball right away.  Then when we showed him the green textured ball, he immediately started pulling at the rubbery textures that protrude from it.  They would pop back with a loud snap when he released them which earned a giggle from him every time. The final thing he grabbed hold of in his basket was his chocolate bunny. Brian unwrapped it from the box and gave it to Liam who examined it carefully before putting it to his mouth.  We watched and laughed at his sudden realization of the sweet treat and began to gnaw on it violently.  He kept removing it to examine, and then would glance over at us as if he couldn’t believe we had given it to him willingly.  Eventually, after he had nibbled off most of one ear, we took the bunny away to divide between the two of us later on.

All in all, Liam’s small Easter basket was just perfect for him. He spent the entire day just fixated on the light up ball, and sat quietly through church popping the rubber ball in my lap.  So I guess a good Easter basket can be achieved for the under 1 crowd if you look hard enough, or in my case if you just look.
Happy Easter All!
The Basket

At church with Aunt Lala

MEMO TO MOM: All kids love chocolate. Period.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!