“Us” Time Not “We” Time

Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Some days, not all but some, I miss the days when it was just me and Brian.  This does not make me a bad mom it just makes me a good wife.  (Not to mention HUMAN.)  After all I did marry the man because I wanted to spend all of my time with him, that’s what marriage is--24/7 with the love of your life.  But with a tiny toddler toddling around, we rarely ever get to spend any “just us” time--and when we do we just end up wanting to nap!  So, on the rare occasion when we get to do something together, even if it’s mundane stuff like grocery shopping or unpacking the house, I enjoy every minute of it.  If we happen to get dinner or a movie in too it’s a major plus!

 But I’m okay with mundane, it’s quality time like any other--and ladies lets face it, they may not admit that one of their love languages is quality time but our guys show it when they don’t get it!  (I know I know, your thinking my hubby’s is definitely not quality time, but come on, it may not be his favorite love language but it has to be on the list or he wouldn’t have proposed in the first place.  Again...Marriage=24/7  See above again.)  So when Brian and I started bickering over where we keep the scissors and our arrangement in our refrigerator, it was time for some “us time”.

So I decided tonight mundane would have to do since our schedules, with his finals and Liam’s therapy, were taking over our calendar.  This is when I dropped Liam off at Gigi’s and ran into town to meet Brian at the end of his work day.  Coffee in hand, we made the best of our hour.  We had been discussing purchasing a screen door for the new house and needed to price quote them as well as the wood for our pergola that’s going to cover the back yard. (See Liam’s Story for more on our upcoming new backyard for our fair skinned boy. The kid’s got to have his shade!) So even though our one hour consisted of walking through Lowe's, hand in hand, discussing and planning our home improvements, at least we had the hour.  And we now have a plan for our porch, bathroom, and yard.
Take that, mundane hour.

MEMO TO MOM: Mundane is better than NOTHING!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!