Favorite Things

Monday, June 18, 2012


Just because. These are a few of my favorite things....

Fall. I am crazy about Fall...Fall colors, Fall coffee flavors, Fall wardrobe, Fall weather, the promise that Christmas is coming...all things Fall really

Liam’s green blanket. We call him Linus when he drags it around, but it is one of my favorite things, something from his infant days that he still holds onto and so do I. Handmade with love by one of my favorite friends and indestructible.

Chicago in the Winter. A concrete jungle, the windy city. Good friends and deep dish (Chicago style) pizza.

Writing. My pain, torture, joy and pleasure. Where I keep all my precious memories.

Color. Each one tells a story, carries an emotion, draws the eye a different way. I love color.

Traditions and hand-me-downs. I was one of three girls growing up, now I’m one of six....we love hand-me-downs.

Pictures. Past and present. They tell a story, a “you had to have been there” sort of story. A thousand memories.

List making. My work spouse and bestie Jess would tell you its an unhealthy obsession but I think that about her ink pen fetish.

Power outages. Power outages = cuddling, candlelight dinners, old board games, and NO food network for the hubby. :)

Road trips. Enough said.

Buttercream icing on anything and everything.

A good chick flick.

A good man flick. Preferably one of the Die Hards

Music that makes you want to dance. Anywhere and everywhere.

Stomping in rain puddles. I know it’s odd but I find when I’m near one (or even when its farther off) that I get the compelling urge to jump in it. And I always act on these urges.

Porch talks with my grandparents, even if it is five a.m.

Letters in the mail. Call me old-fashioned but something about getting mail makes me giddy, as long as they’re not bills.

Quilts and the smell of said quilts. Like my nana’s house in the summer. Windows down, pies a cooking, coffee a brewing, bar-b-que on the grill.

Old books. I love the smell and the feel of them, their pages, their covers. The old language used in some of them, even though it may be hard to understand at times. I would never trade paper books for a electronic version.

Owls. Don’t know where it started but it ended up all over my house, my office, and Liam’s room.

Libraries and the smell of libraries.

and lastly (for now anyway) Nights at home with my boys...playing in the yard, on the swing, on the kitchen floor, reading bedtime books, and our nightly prayers. I love everything about my little family.

MEMO TO MOM: Make more lists like this one, if not just to annoy non list makers.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!