The Trenches--Naptime Crossroads

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Naptime.  It’s the only “me” time I get these days and it’s also the only time I ever really get anything done anymore.  When Liam was little (aka before he learned to walk about) I could easily clean the house, cook, or get some writing in during his awake hours…these days I’m lucky if I can just go to the bathroom alone.  I don’t mind the constant shadow each days, most days I love the fact that he wants to be wherever his mama is, but cleaning with my little shadow is another story! You’ve heard the phrase “Cleaning the house with small children is like trying to brush your teeth while chewing up an Oreo”? Well it’s true…whatever room I go to and begin to tidy up, my shadow is right behind me to drag the toys and such back out again.  When I cook he is right at my feet wanting to be held so he can see above the counter.  Sitting him in his highchair to watch across the kitchen is not an option as he cannot see far enough and demands to be closer due to his vision. (Believe me we have tried!) Now don’t get me wrong, I love love love my little shadow, I’d rather be playing with him than cooking or cleaning any day! So I’m content to only do these things which must eventually be done during his naptime each day. 
I shove things off until the weekends when I’m home alone with Liam and I know he will nap a good hour in the morning and 2 to 2 ½ hours in the afternoon—plenty of time to write, clean, organize my house or help plan a sister’s wedding you’d think right?
So now what happens when my little shadow does not nap?
I’m not sure when exactly it started or who started it for that matter, but we’ve developed a bad habit.  The past two weekends when it is time for our nap, I proceed as usual:
-get blanket
-turn off lights
-get small toy or book
-sit down on the couch with Liam next to me NOT being held
Liam will sit there next to me fiddling with his toy or book until he’s droopy and leaning over into my lap, passed out.  Then I carry him to his crib and turn on his music. We’ve done this each naptime and every night with dada for months now and Liam has always done great, sleeping through the entire night and all. 
Enter the last two weeks.
Each time we lay him down in his crib he startles and wakes no matter how quiet and soft we are, tip toeing around and gently laying him down before we back out of the room.
Begin round one of 30 minutes of screaming, coughing, gagging, etc.
So we go in, pick him up and calm him down either rocking him in his room or sitting him back on the couch with us again.  Some nights we force him to lay back down and cry some more or pat his back until he is asleep or droopy, then we slowly or quickly back out of the room again and wait.
Begin round two of the kicking, screaming fits for another 45 minutes to an hour.
You’d think eventually he’d fall asleep but NOOO! I’ve waited a full hour to an hour and a half yet still he screams.  Full on gagging and choking and all.
The minute you pick him up or sit with him again on the sofa he falls back asleep almost instantly, so we know it’s not because he isn’t tired—he’s exhausted!
I don’t know who’s been holding him during naps or if it’s just a phase for “this age” but it’s down right annoying.  I’d love to sit around each day holding him for 3 hours of napping but then what would that accomplish? Not to mention I’d never get a thing done ever again! My house would look like a tornado passed through it, dishes piled to the ceiling we’d have to eat out every night! I don’t function well in messes and I certainly don’t function on frazzled nerves mixed with lack of sleep—which is definitely where I am after having to listen to him scream and cry for three hours a day!
What age does this fit end?
I envy these moms with three or four kids who have tidy homes and a three course meal on the table every night. How do you do it ladies? Is there a secret training technique that I missed along the way? A secret to multitasking with toddlers?
54 minutes and counting now…..55………56……57…..
I’ll take any answers or suggestions you can share right about now….

3 comments:

  1. Question - are you working during the week and with Liam all day on weekends? If so, then I share some of your issues. Maddie naps for her daycare providers, but not for me on weekends. Not well, at least. I can't figure it out, except to decide that (1) she's comfortable enough with me to try fussing and protesting nap, and (2) she is trying to spend as much time wtih me as possible and thus, resists nap.

    I don't have good advice for you except a reminder that even though it's a bad habit, it could be a phase that he will suddenly outgrow. Until then...what about a baby carrier? You can get an Ergo, which supports larger kiddos, and perhaps get him comfy on your back in the backpack mode, then let him nap away while you work???

    For the kitchen, I am LOVING this: http://www.littlepartners.com/
    It's the Learning Tower, by Little Partners. It's pricey, but multi-functional, and Maddie loves it. Disclaimer: she uses it now as a lauching pad to be able to climb up onto the counter. But other than that, it's great. I found an excellent one, discounted, on Craigs List. It's designed very well and is quite stable, and it may be good for Liam to use. I bet he can figure it out pretty nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea aunt Katrina! Yes I'm only with him for naPs on the weekend and he naps great most days for our sitter so I agree I think he just wants to be near me as much as possible. And he's way to big for a carrier too heavy for me to do that !! I wish tho!! I will have to check into that kitchen toy tho sounds great ! Thanks so much lady!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the idea aunt Katrina! Yes I'm only with him for naPs on the weekend and he naps great most days for our sitter so I agree I think he just wants to be near me as much as possible. And he's way to big for a carrier too heavy for me to do that !! I wish tho!! I will have to check into that kitchen toy tho sounds great ! Thanks so much lady!!

      Delete