The Insomniac Toddler

Monday, March 18, 2013

I look at this blog title and just laugh today. Nap-time. Who gets nap-times anymore? (I've tried enacting nap-times at work with no luck thus far.)
These past few weeks, Liam has forgotten that he is a toddler and not a newborn anymore. He's decided he prefers a newborn's sleeping pattern, and I've decided to never have another newborn again.....KIDDING!! 
I have decided to wear ear plugs at night though, and maybe sleep with my head under a pillow. 
Or just sleep in the yard. 
Preferably in a tent.
Just saying.
Anyway, this insomniac Liam has got to go. Our night night prayers with him have started turning into "and wake him with the morning light.....but not until the morning light. Preferably closer to 7 than 5."  The following have all, ALL, been tried (and failed) in an attempt to regain our sanity sleep.
  • Pick him up and rock him. --Even though everyone and everything told us "don't pick them up!!!" We did, we regret, let's move on.
  • Leave him lying and pat/rub his tummy/back. --That's if we can keep him lying down at all.
  • Sit in his rocker across the room and sing/shush him.. --Insert nap in the chair here.
  • Put him on the couch with us because we refuse to have a "only sleeps in our bed" relapse.  --Insert hours of squirmy giggles and demands for tv time here.
  • Let him cry it out. --This used to work like a charm on Liam when he truly was an infant.  "Used to" being the key word here. 
  • And my least favorite....stern voice and a spank on the behind. (Always carried out by his dad.)

After last nights 2 hour 47 minute nights sleep nap, I feel as if I've lost what sanity I may have had left. (Also "may" being the key word.)
Tonight, there will be Benadryl, Benadryl for everyone!  All those in favor say "I", all those opposed say you'll be at my house from 11pm to 3am tonight.
Any takers??  I thought not.

post signature

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!